Preloading [WAS: Re: SuSE Project SUPER]

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Mon Jan 14 22:26:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jan 14, 2008 at 08:18:55AM -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Callum Lerwick wrote:
>> The whole idea of preloading is crackrock. Its just hiding the problem,
>> at best.
>>
>> The problem is the relentless march of bloat.
>>

> One person's bloat is someone else's most needed feature - and there's not
> a big problem these days with disk space to store unused options. The
> problem is that the programs, their shared libraries, and config files are
> splattered all over the disk and seeking to access them is much slower than
> any other computer operation.  There has to be some trick that could be
> used either to pre-arrange all the files used in the boot process together
> or load something early to pull in all of the shared libs in a certain
> order, or have them preloaded in a swapfile or something.  If you change
> the goal to reducing disk seeks instead of specifically preloading files it
> might be easier to accomplish a speedup.
>

>From my point of view Callum has dead right. If I remember to Fedora
Core 4 or 5 it was significantly faster that F8. I remember day when I
turned off Compiz (maybe in F6) and said "Yeah, this is pretty fast".
Now I'm back in Compiz days but without Compiz. I don't think disk
usage is main problem (but in some cases yes - command yum update
always bother me in this case) generally. It looks like code become
slower and slower. And last team of really good programmers stucks
with improvements like preloading or compiler optimization. I'm not
against features. But We really should not add features and improve
stability without care about code speed and quality. Looks like I have
to switch from gnome to blackbox or fluxbox. This will solve my
problem. For now. And after two years I will start using runlevel 3 by
default...

Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.