Re: Preloading [WAS: Re: SuSE Project SUPER]

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, chasd wrote:

The best-guess optimization for an end user won't be the best optimization for the _first_ use.

What SuSE actually do is optimize for a "generic" use case. In essence, they preload the display managers, Firefox and OpenOffice. And they get these program starts much more responsive as a result.

It will be pointless for users using neither program (well we all have the display managers), of course.

(I guess I would personalize it to preload emacs and gnome-terminal but that's just me...)

Linus