Re: xargs generates too long argument lists on i686

On Mon, 14 Jan 2008, Horst H. von Brand wrote:

For some time now, each time I try to build an RPM it fails with something
like:

 + /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths /usr/lib/rpm/check-buildroot
   xargs: /usr/lib/rpm/check-rpaths-worker: Argument list too long
   error: Bad exit status from /var/tmp/rpm-tmp.39544 (%install)

This I have traced back to xargs(1) generating huge argument lists, which
the called command can't handle. Doing a "make clean" in a self-built
kernel gives the same type of grief (I tweaked the Makefile there to call
xargs with "-L 2000" to get it to work).

I wonder how everybody else here is able to get anything done...

Easy workaround: just remove the rpath check from ~/.rpmmacros (rpmdev-setuptree plants it there, it's not part of default rpm build setup otherwise).

	- Panu -