texlive + pdftex +kile: very slow

Jindrich Novy jnovy at redhat.com
Wed Jan 16 13:30:55 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jan 15, 2008 at 04:06:53PM +0100, Stefan Grosse wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have upgraded my tex to texlive from rawhide. Whenever I run pdftex on a
> document (unfortunately this is necessary for the beamer package) it takes
> 1-2 minutes on even a very small text kile consumes during this time ~100%
> cpu.
>
> I did not have the same problem with tetex.
>
> Is someone else observing the same? Is it a pdftex bug? Or kile bug?

Hi,

actually both of them are culprits. pdflatex used to create very
verbose output because of warnings about ambiguous entries in
pdflatex.map. This doesn't affect the output PDF from pdflatex, but
it causes kile to consume lots of time because it parses the logs
very slowly so that it is unresponsive for some time.

pdflatex no more warns because of ambiguous entries since
texlive-2007-11 and it made kile work much faster for me.

Jindrich

--
Jindrich Novy <jnovy at redhat.com>   http://people.redhat.com/jnovy/