Re: Should vim-X11 conflict with vim-enhanced ?

On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 16:47 +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Tue January 15 2008, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra wrote:
>
> > vim is far more pratical on an terminal emulator than gvim, even on a
> > system with X11/gtk.
>
> The gvim binary runs without any problems in an terminal emulator or a
> terminal when it is run with the name vim. Or do you know anything that
> breaks then?

With longer startup time, and strange errors, and just because I ssh
into a system with X11 forwarding enabled, so that it is available when
I want it, doesn't mean I want vim to use it *now*. gvim startup over
ssh is rather irritatingly slow, I use it when I know I'm going to have
it open for a while, and if I want multiple windows open.

And similarly, just because my screen session is pointing to the local X
display, doesn't mean I haven't sshed into the screen session from
another machine and want it to open on the local X display that I am not
sitting in front of...