An interesting read when discussing what to do about our bugs...

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Sun Jan 20 15:38:42 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jan 19, 2008 at 09:48:15PM +0100, Till Maas wrote:
> On Saturday 19 January 2008 21:41:07 Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > For all Xen related bugs I always need to get /var/log/xen/xend.log
> > and quite often the guest VM config file. At the same time I often do
> > not have time to deal with a bug immediately. So I will take a quick
> > look at request the info that will likely be required to diagnose the
> > bug. So when I do finally have time to analyse the bug perhaps a month
> > or more later, I will have most of the info neccessary.  If I didn't
> > request the data immediately, then the user would probably not still
> > have the neccessary data the weeks/ month later and there'd be no
> > chance to fix it.  So I always as for as much information as possible
> > the moment the bug is opened, since that's the time at which the user
> > has it easily available.
>
> Maybe the bug reporter feels better, when you explain this in your comment, if
> you do not do this already.

Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't - its hard to generalize the response
since it depends on a thousand & one different factors. One thing I think
would be helpful though, would be for bugzilla to show people a list of
required data when entering a bug on a per component level.

eg, for a virt-manager bug I always want $HOME/.virt-manager.log

eg, for a Xen bug I always want /var/log/xen/xend.log, and the config file
    of the associated guest VM

eg, for an perl-Test-AutoBuild bug I always want /var/lib/builder/auto-build.log

Even if the user thinks they are providing enough info that they don't
need the logs, history has taught me that people frequently supply incorrect
data, either accidentally or delibrately.

It shouldn't be outside the realms of possibility to be able to associate
a short snippet of HTML with each BZ component, so the 'create bug' form
can tell users the component-specific data required upfront.

Dan.