Re: Experiment: an RPM that shows uninstalled apps in main menu

On Sun, 2008-01-20 at 00:05 -0800, Andrew Farris wrote:
> > I personally think this should be a first level menu myself. An
> > immutable one at that. And install of 'uninstalled' might want to say
> > 'available'
>
> Immutable, and first level seems reasonable.  The title is debatable, since
> 'available' has multiple meanings, and the software is not available to the
> person who wants to use it when they click on the menu... its acquirable, its
> not yet installed, its offered, but not yet available.  If something like
> 'Repository Software' was used, that would be clear (but not very 'sophisticated').

Steam refers to this state as "Not Installed". "uninstalled" sounds
wrong to me, to me it means "This was installed but now it is not" which
is not always true.

Are the "Gnome Online Desktop" people looking at Steam at all? I think
they're way ahead of us there. Though it only works with games, and only
"steam" games at that. And doesn't integrate with existing services, it
introduces yet ANOTHER goddamn IM service/client...