hdX vs sdX on redhat/centos 5.x with ata_piix

hi,
on redhat 5.x and fedora 6 there are hdX and sdX while from fedora 7
(and probably from redhat 6.x) there will be only sdX. is it possible
with the latest redhat kernel-2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 to use the same libata
driver to handle all disk (ie. both pata and sata) so we've only sdX
disk devices like it's the current setup on newer fedora release. we try
to disable ide0=noprobe etc. which really disable hdX but even if the
kernel load the libata and ata_piix driver it's still not load these disks.
thanks in advance.