long term support release

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Wed Jan 23 15:46:07 UTC 2008

On Jan 23, 2008 10:30 AM, David Mansfield <fedora at dm.cobite.com> wrote:
> Just to be sure, though, your thesis argument is: community supported
> software can do many things (ie. invent a kernel, reverse engineer usb
> cameras etc), but community can not support an operating system for 2
> years?  I think that people are falling back on the 'fedora legacy
> failed' argument, but I don't think it applies.

It's actually a very different creative process to create a product
and to support a product.  Many of the hacking community are smart
enough to do it, so companies tend to hire them, but if they enjoy
creating a kernel as a hobbyist experiment, why would they be
interested in making it work on some obscure piece of hardware sold
only in Estonia and Zimbabwe, when they could be hacking on more
interesting features for everyone?

-Yaakov