long term support release

Eric Paris eparis at redhat.com
Wed Jan 23 15:52:19 UTC 2008

> On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:13:39 -0500
> David Mansfield <fedora at dm.cobite.com> wrote:
>
> > I think Fedora LTS would be:
> > - planned and built into the Fedora cycle and finally implemented
> > - only releases planned in advance to be LTS releases would be LTS
> > - there would only be one (or two) outstanding LTS releases at a time
>
> And you create the same problem.  They won't be frequent enough to
> support today's hardware, and also if you constantly just do new
> versions of everything you lose the ability to support it long term as
> too much churn breaks things.
>
> To be fair, RHEL/CentOS does do limited hardware enablement in the
> update releases, like 5.0, 5.1, etc...

Limited?  5.2 basically has the latest upstream wireless stack. I think
e1000 was bumped to latest upstream, and I know IPSec support was almost
completely rereved.  I know some of the block device drives had gigantic
updates.  Hardware enablements are a big part of the early RHEL life
cycle (first 3 or 5 years can't really remember I don't do sales)  If
you have hardware that works in fedora and doesn't work in CentOS 5 feel
free to file a bug.  It might not get a lot of attention if you are the
only person on earth with that piece of hardware, but RHEL (although
very slow) enables lots of hardware every release.  Admittedly you need
a lot of patience waiting for updates if you have the fedora speed
mindset....

-Eric