Re: An interesting read when discussing what to do about our bugs...

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 11:06:22 -0900
"Jeff Spaleta" <jspaleta gmail com> wrote:

> I think you are wrong. Dead wrong.
> it does absolutely no good for me to attempt to act as a proxy for
> hardware breakage that I can't re-confirm with my own hardware.  At
> some point the person experiencing the hardware problem has to be able
> to talk directly with a developer who is in a position to confirm and
> fix.  Whether that means driving upstream developers to the fedora
> bugreport or driving users to upstream developers.... it doesn't
> matter. I refuse..REFUSE... to stop asking users with hardware
> specific breakage to be proactive and tap into the upstream resource
> when I can't confirm the problem.

There is a huge difference between engaging the user and helping them
to contact upstream, or getting upstream in contact with the user,
basically facilitating that wonderful communication, and saying "Shut
up, that's upstream, go away" and closing the bug.

--
Jesse Keating