[fedora-arm] Re: Fedora 8/ARM available

Michel Salim michel.sylvan at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 05:44:47 UTC 2008

On Jan 20, 2008 2:16 PM, Manas Saksena <manas.saksena at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 4:13 PM, Michel Salim <michel.sylvan at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jan 14, 2008 6:33 PM, Lennert Buytenhek <buytenh at wantstofly.org> wrote:
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > We are proud to announce the availability of a(n unofficial)
> > > Fedora 8 package repository for the ARM architecture.
> >
> > Great news! Would it be possible to install this on Scratchbox?
> > Maemo's SDK is already using it.
>
> Are you, perhaps, thinking of QEMU? Scratchbox is a tool to build
> packages. We dont use it for Fedora/ARM as we build the packages
> natively.

I was thinking of Scratchbox -- it can actually use QEMU for CPU
transparency, allowing someone to work on a normal terminal window
without having to fire up an entire emulated OS.

The one thing that is nice about Scratchbox is it lets you
mix-and-match native and cross-platform binaries -- I've used it when
I needed to run some Intel-only tools when developing for ARM.

Will have to look up the Scratchbox documentation more closely to see
if it can be easily adapted to use any root FS images.

Thanks,

--
Michel Salim