Re: Yum, Proxy Cache Safety, Storage Backend

Le jeudi 24 janvier 2008 à 13:49 -0600, Les Mikesell a écrit :

> Can't the T1->T2 transition happen while user A is in mid-update?  I'm
> fairly sure I've seen something like that without any proxies involved.

> Again, I think you'll still have the same issues if user A's update
> spans any of these arbitrary Tx designations - at least the ones where
> you've got metadata and the rpms are changed before you get them.

> But you are doing things that aren't guaranteed to work in the first
> place.  All the cache does is expand the window for breakage a bit.

You're perfectly right. Smart web clients know the internet can shift
under their feet and refresh files in case of problems instead of
failing horribly on users (in the browser case you have a big refresh
button for this reason). Though smart web designers know client
refreshes are expensive and limit the refresh needs by avoiding to reuse
the same filenames for different stuff.

--
Nicolas Mailhot