long term support release

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Sat Jan 26 06:49:59 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-01-25 at 12:12 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
> Horst H. von Brand wrote:

> >>                                      If the latter effort fails,
> >> you've still got a solid, working version.
> >
> > If you want "solid, working", why are you messing around with
> > "bleeding-edge apps"?!
>
> Why are people writing 'bleeding-edge' apps if there is no reason to use
> them?
I guess no reasonable _user_ wants 'bleeding-edge'.

I want/need a comprehensive, up2date distribution containing
current/up2date (considered stable) versions of those packages I
actually use.

As a developer, it's not a major problem for _me_ having to cope with a
couple of issues here and there, but how do you expect "Aunt Tillie" to
cope with them?

Also, with F8 I have been confronted with so many tiny issues, which all
together render productive use of Fedora close to impossible and have
caused me to have doubts on the project's sanity.

Interestingly, it's not the "community-maintained packages" some seem to
preferr to accuse to be of low quality, which are causing the trouble,
it's the sum of issues with the "standard/default packages" which are
piling up.

>   A desktop app that crashes once in a while is not a huge problem
> - and wouldn't be a problem at all if there were an option to drop back
> to a more stable version.
>   A machine that won't boot or a device driver
> that no longer talks to my hardware is.
Yep, that's one subset amongst several sets of issues I am facing ;)

Fortunately, these happen to be the easy cases. The really nagging ones
are those, one can't identify the cause of.

Ralf