Re: long term support release

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Fri, Jan 25, 2008 at 01:23:37PM -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
Now, cross your heart: Would /you/ run a LTS where there was /no/ QA or
security team? At most for a month or so, until it is convenient to
upgrade would be my answer. Feeling uneasy all the time.

Yes, I would, if I know that I can trust the packagers. I don't care
about QA and security team (though it is a nice bonus).

You cannot trust packagers without any QA being done. Period. Simple mistakes happen to everyone, more frequently than we'd all like to admit. In a LTS type scenario the people are expecting the updates that do come out to not completely hose the system... 'trusting' the packagers would be a guaranteed way to have people asking for their money back or ditching the distro entirely the first time a major incident happened.

All it takes is a broken mkinitrd, and a kernel improperly installed rather than upgraded. /byedatathecasualuserwillneverseeagain

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul gmail com> www.lordmorgul.net