Fedora Education Spin

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Sun Jan 27 17:29:03 UTC 2008

sebastian at when.com wrote:

> I think, in our case, both (a cd and a dvd) is possible: We could create
> a dvd, e.g. in collaboration with k12ltsp, which could then include a
> terminal server, and put educational apps on it. But I would also
> suggest a cd with a selection (!) of educational software, which might
> for example also be given to pupils by their teachers... therefore the
> cd should not be too bloated (e.g. only contain one program per category
> - not three periodic systems for chemistry!).

Would it be possible to build a 1-CD base install that would then give
you the option of doing a 'yum groupinstall some_big_set' if you have a
good internet connection, or installing that set from a separate CD that
does not have any of the base system on it?  That way you don't have to
respin a bazillion copies of the base system just to get some slightly
customized variations, and people with decent internet connections don't
have to download and install images that will always be out of date
anyway.  If you don't want to bother setting up the infrastructure for
yum groupinstall, just provide a script that puts the whole list on the
yum command line - or make a metapackage with all the others as
dependencies.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com