Re: InstantMirror needs a rethink

Les Mikesell wrote:
Arthur Pemberton wrote:

Am about to investigate on-demand style mirroring as opposed to
rsync/ftp myself, and came across InstantMirror. What I have not yet
been able to determine is what is the benefit of InstantMirror over
just running squid and having yum always use said proxy?? (yum really
should be able to independently use an http proxy)

Yum can/does use an http proxy if you either explicitly configure it or export http_proxy=http://my_proxy:port in the environment. However the default mirrorlist behavior will randomize the URLs so different machines behind the proxy will make different requests that will be cached but not reused. And an assortment of things can go wrong if repo files are changed, but these problems could also happen in the time span of a single update without a proxy.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to accomplish the same thing for an anaconda install (kickstart or regular).

-dmc