Fedora Education Spin

sebastian at when.com sebastian at when.com
Mon Jan 28 17:45:39 UTC 2008

Hi all.

Jon Ciesla wrote:
> Add genchemlab and gonvert.  Not too big, would add value.
Done! ;)

Nicu Buculei wrote:
> I understand you used claws-mail as default due to size concerns, but
> if you look at our application usage statistics [1], will see
> Thunderbird is a much popular choice (and the package is not that
> big), maybe it is a better default?
I agree, Thunderbird is clearly more popular. I have created a new build
with it. Seems to fit...

> And how about some "advanced" applications, like Gimp and Inkscape? I
> think "education" should not be only about "absolute beginners" and
> having such applications available to learn is very useful.
In my first tries, I had included these apps, but I removed them due to
space problems. I had also thought of blender, which might be useful. In
the new version, gimp and blender are included by default. Inkscape
pulls in some large dependencies, so I wasn't able to include it at the
moment.

But I think it could be a case for an installation directly from the
internet or from a second cd (just like Les proposed)...
Maybe, providing a script on the desktop, which then installs a list of
further apps via yum, might be the easiest way to check this out.
I have thought of an: 'echo "yum install something" > somewhere on the
desktop' in the kickstart file
But I think this is not really convincing. If you have any other ideas,
how to realize this, please tell me.

Huzaifa Sidhpurwala wrote:
> You are right, i totally missed this email.
> However on seeing this link i think this contains very few edu apps.
> Probably i can directly contribute to this rather than start my own.
Well, I could for example take a test run of the whole thing and give
some feedback, if you want to. Or if you have further package
suggestions or other ideas, please let me know...

By the way: I have uploaded the new kickstart file and extended the
table a bit (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SebastianDziallas/Education)...

Sebastian