Re: Nokia wants to buy Trolltech

On Jan 28, 2008 1:50 PM, Matej Cepl <mcepl redhat com> wrote:
> On 2008-01-28, 15:32 GMT, Arthur Pemberton wrote:
> > On Jan 28, 2008 9:28 AM, Jos Vos <jos xos nl> wrote:
> >>
> >> FYI: Nokia wants to buy Trolltech:
> >>
> >> http://trolltech.com/company/newsroom/announcements\
> >> /press.2008-01-28.4605718236
> >
> > I think it is past-tense now, http://trolltech.com/28012008/28012008
>
> Isn't this weird -- what about their using Gnome in Maemo?

Not to knock Gnome or GTK+, but QT is a more robust framework.  QT in
C++ is easier to program than GTK+ in C.  QT has alot of constructs in
it for data containers and multithreading, which if I understand
correctly, are better than GTK+ on a technical standpoint.  From a
desktop perspective, things like application resizing and other
graphical aspects 'perform better' than GTK+ programs.  I'm sure
Benjamin Kreuter is going to argue the flexibility of KParts as well.

I think Nokia either might just be hedging their bets, or actually
plan on using a QT framework for something.

-Yaakov