long term support release

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Tue Jan 29 03:08:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 21:56:46 -0500
seth vidal <skvidal at fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> - systems that haven't been rebooted in a while sometimes gather cruft
> that has not been properly laced into the startup. so it doesn't come
> up on its own. Rebooting frequently ensures that people remember to
> do that
>
> - any system that "MUST BE UP ALL THE TIME" should be redundant. If it
> is not redundant and it is that important then that service is a
> pretty precarious position.
>
> - reboots ferret out problems in hardware that you don't always see
> until a powercycle. Like a disk that will just keep on spinning
> provided it is never stopped.
>

> I agree with religiously rebooting boxes.

I've been bitten by too many of these things in the past to not agree
as well.  Now it wasn't as bad as the NT box that had to be rebooted
weekly or else the services on it (like exchange) would start to fail
randomly.  But it was a good test for what would happen should this box
go down and are we prepared for that.

--
Jesse Keating