long term support release

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 09:53:08 UTC 2008

Ralf Corsepius wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-01-27 at 19:21 -0300, Horst H. von Brand wrote:
>> Ralf Corsepius <rc040203 at freenet.de> wrote:

>>> We are back to the point of questioning Fedora's target audience. As it
>>> currently seem to me the target audience is "RH distro developers".
>> If so, how is that wrong?
>
> Interests collide. "RH distro developers" interests are different from
> "end users" (even when putting "Aunt Tillie" aside) and "upstreams" and
> development.
>
> E.g. SELinux, NetworkManager, Pulseaudio are widely non-interesting to
> me. If they worked transparently and smoothlessly, I would simply use
> them and not waste a single word about them, like I do with many other
> packages on a distro. Fact is, they don't work smoothless.

Refer to http://www.fedoraproject.org.  The purpose of the project is clearly
stated as a technology showcase; things like pulseaudio and selinux not working
smoothly is pretty much a given when you combine 'new technology' and 'showcase'
together.  The same would be true of any industry/sector/sport/hobby/etc...  to
make something work smoothly you have to develop it beyond brand new technology.
I don't see how interests are colliding there unless your interests are just
different than what the project was set out to do in the first place.  What
you're asking for seems to be a platform for your application development which
has the latest technology but which is developed beyond those barriers to
adoption already...