Re: long term support release

Andrew Farris <lordmorgul gmail com> wrote:
> Richard Hally wrote:
> > Jeff Spaleta wrote:
> >> On Jan 25, 2008 12:35 AM, Patrice Dumas <pertusus free fr> wrote:
> > snip
> >
> >> there needs to be some plan to actually make sure that
> >> happens so we don't mislead users.  A purpose and scope defined well
> >> enough so that I can track some sort of performance metric.

> > Does such a thing("some sort of performance metric") exist for
> > Fedora itself?
> > Richard

> That would be impossible... one cannot have a performance metric of
> something so vague as a whole project this size (except in politics).

/One/ perhaps not, but one can certainly think of several performance
metrics:

- Number of open bugs
- Average time from opening to closing bugs
- Number of active community developers (and other categories of
  contributors)

And this is just off the top of my head, a more careful analysis will
probably come up with others.

As always, "performance metrics" should be tailored to measure performance,
and for that you have to first agree what performance to measure. And that
must come from the goals of the project (the Fedora distribution, in this
case). Mostly you won't be able to measure performance directly, but
measure variables that you know are related to the performance you want to
kwon about.