long term support release

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Tue Jan 29 18:56:33 UTC 2008

On Jan 29, 2008 9:26 AM, Stephen John Smoogen <smooge at gmail.com> wrote:
> Wow management zen.  Or as my boss once said "If you fart in your
> cubicle at lunch, does it smell?" You can only measure such large
> scale items with various statistical shenanigans. You are having to
> deal with multiple projects, multiple codebases and interactions that
> are probably on the order of 2^64 or greater. At which point you can
> only try to come up with the entropy of the entire system.. but with
> the inaccuracy that you are measuring from within the system and not
> outside.

I'm looking for metrics that I can use later for "put up or shut up"
moments.  If subprojects are sufficiently narrow in scope.. if they go
well I can beat the drums a bit in praise of the community for
stepping up and expanding what we are doing in a specific area and
hold that up as a success for other involvement.  If it doesn't go
well, I can beat the drums a bit and find all those community people
who wanted to see that area grow and challenge them to make it happen
and to support the community leader who stepped up to lead that area.

If someone steps up to lead an area, I want to have some goals and
indicators identified so an effort doesn't languish in some unhealthy
state without some way for the Board or other group to step in and try
to make a positive impact when needed.

-jef