Re: Request to re-add option to disable SELinux

Suren Karapetyan wrote:
On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 12:08 +0200, Nils Philippsen wrote:
On Fri, 2008-07-04 at 01:54 +0500, Suren Karapetyan wrote:
EVERYBODY who used to disable SELinux when the combo-box was there will
STILL disable it. We didn't get ANYTHING from removing that *feature*.
Please don't confuse features with workarounds.
I need ´╗┐neither SELinux nor encrypted rootfs on my desktop (at least
now). So I'm not trying to workaround SELinux related problems. I just
don't need it/them.

I think its unfortunate that so many people believe SELinux is something 'for the server' and not needed 'on the desktop'. That probably comes from the first policy being deployed for server processes (if my memory serves correctly). I'm not attacking your own position on this point Suren, but it is hard to understand why you would think this unless not really understanding what SELinux is meant to prevent.

The core developers working on SELinux have many times said the desktop is precisely where it is most needed, especially confining browsers and plugins. I think my personal information on my laptop is worth the extra security.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul gmail com> www.lordmorgul.net
 gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29