pm-utils for F8 and Advanced power management

Callum Lerwick seg at haxxed.com
Tue Jul 8 16:44:17 UTC 2008

2008/7/6 Paulo Cavalcanti <promac at gmail.com>:
> I am trying to fix the Load_Cycle_Count
> bug that is increasing at a very fast pace each day
> on my laptop running  F8. Suddenly, I realized that apparently the
> version of pm-utils for F9 has a kook to deal with it:
>
> 99hd-apm-restore.hook and
> /etc/pm-utils-hd-apm-restore.conf
>

> Why was not this ported to F8?
>
> The problem, as I understand, is quiet serious,
> and can kill the drive in one or two years.

Model Family:     Western Digital Scorpio family
Device Model:     WDC WD600VE-11KWT0
Firmware Version: 01.03K01

Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE
UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
 4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       357
 5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   199   199   140    Pre-fail
Always       -       8
 9 Power_On_Hours          0x0032   094   094   000    Old_age
Always       -       4414
10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0012   100   100   051    Old_age
Always       -       0
12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age
Always       -       199
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   200   200   000    Old_age
Always       -       192
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0032   065   065   000    Old_age
Always       -       406672
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0022   110   077   000    Old_age
Always       -       33
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   199   199   000    Old_age
Always       -       1

F-cking great. I don't think this drive is even a year old, and it's
up to 400000 already! And has reallocated sectors? This is a plain,
un-tweaked F9 on an eMachines m6805, which is run entirely off AC
since the battery is no good. Shouldn't we do something about this? It
would be easy enough to automatically detect a rapidly increasing
Load_Cycle_Count and alert the user. Or just fix it automagically.

I just put '/sbin/hdparm -B 254 /dev/sda' into my rc.local to control
the damage. I shouldn't have to do this. No finger pointing, the plain
fact is Fedora should Just Work, no matter what retarded things the
BIOS vendor or HD manufacturer does.

We really do need some kind of thing set up to monitor SMART and alert
the user via notification-daemon. I already had to replace the drive
in this thing because the previous one got toasted due to a failed CPU
heatsink roasting the whole system. It sure would have been nice to
get a "Warning! Your hard drive appears to be overheating!" alert.