OLPC & package dependency growth

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Jul 9 15:10:49 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 10:05:05AM -0500, Dennis Gilmore wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 July 2008, Matthias Clasen wrote:
> > Daniel,
> >
> > we are looking at splitting gvfs a bit more finegrained for F10, but
> > doing such a split in the middle of a stable release is somewhat hard to
> > do, so some forking may be necessary for F9.
> >
> > But if we work through these issues now, your F11 upgrade may be a lot
> > easier...
> Ive been taking steps  so that OLPC will be able to track rawhide always.
> this should help make it easier to keep track of image bloat.  hopefully there
> will be a F10 based build

We could sure use some scripts to anaylse RPM deps on a nightly basis
and produces reports on interesting stats. eg disk footprint of the
chain starting from package 'X', or list of dependancies from package
'X', or perhaps something that given a kickstart file can report
the total size of the package set listed in the kickstart without
actually going through the full livecd (or equiv) build process. We
are fighting a similar battle to OLPC with the oVirt project which
has a live CD we're trying to keep under 64 MB in size.

Dainel