Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Chuck Anderson cra at WPI.EDU
Wed Jul 9 16:47:28 UTC 2008

On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 12:28:00PM -0400, Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 July 2008 12:12:27 pm Dale Stimson wrote:
> > On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 01:51:15PM +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
> > > At long last, we are about to get a brand new RPM version (alpha snapshot
> > > at the moment) into rawhide. The list of changes from 4.4.2.x is massive
> > > and a full summary needs a separate posting (will follow as time
> > > permits), this is just a heads-up of immediate consequences for Fedora
> > > packagers and rawhide consumers:
> >
> > [snip]
> >
> > Something I would like to see standard in RPM is for the default for
> > installation of source files from a .src.rpm file to be changed from
> >     %{_sourcedir}
> >     %{_sourcedir}/%{name}-%{version}
> >
> > (The above example assumes the current definition of _sourcedir,
> > which the suggested implementation below proposes be changed).
> >
> > With the above, multiple .src.rpm files could be installed simultaneously
> > without mixing their files in SOURCES.
> >
> > Suggested implementation:
> >
> > Change the definition of _sourcedir from
> >     %_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/SOURCES/
> >     %_sourcedir     %{_topdir}/SOURCES/%{name}-%{version}
> >
> > I've done this in my .rpmmacros file for a long time and am happy with it.
>
> Been doing something similar myself for ages, but also dropping the spec file
> in with the source files. A directory full of specs and a directory full of
> sources for umpteen different packages is dumb.

+1.  This has been my .rpmmacros for years:

%_topdir				/home/cra/src/redhat
%_ntopdir				%{_topdir}/%{name}-%{version}-%{release}
%_builddir				%{_ntopdir}
%_sourcedir				%{_ntopdir}
%_specdir				%{_ntopdir}
%_rpmfilename				%%{NAME}-%%{VERSION}-%%{RELEASE}.%%{ARCH}.rpm
%_rpmdir				%{_topdir}/RPMS
%_srcrpmdir				%{_topdir}/SRPMS

It does mean I have to mv the _ntopdir every time I bump the
version/release in the spec, and also have to deal with the value of
%{?dist} in the directory name, but I think these little things are
worth it.