new RPM version and Feature process (was: Re: Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide)

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at redhat.com
Thu Jul 10 12:56:21 UTC 2008

On Wed, 9 Jul 2008, Jesse Keating wrote:

> On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 23:34 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>>
>> The simple-minded bass-player in me has just one practical question: what
>> do we do about it? Sure we can go through the feature process, it'll just
>> probably mean the new rpm will miss F10 alpha. Whether that's a good thing
>> or not might depend on if you're in rel-eng or not ;)
>
> If we can dedicate a couple helpers to you, I bet we could get a feature
> page written up quickly, and I bet we could get FESCo approval in good
> faith on getting a suitable feature page up, after the package is built.

Well then, here you go: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/RPM4.6
The new rpm isn't committed or built yet, I'm going to wait for approval
so nobody gets to complain we didn't go by the book.

In the meanwhile, you can find the SRPMS for the new rpm and couple of
more critical packages patched to build + work with it here:
http://laiskiainen.org/rpm/srpms/

The rpm package is huge because it has db-4.5.20 tarball in it. This isn't
the way it's going to be built for Fedora, it's just a temporary measure
to make testing easier.

 	- Panu -