Re: pm-utils for F8 and Advanced power management

Matthew Garrett (mjg59 srcf ucam org) said:
> On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 06:32:16AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:
>
> > Putting syslog on tmpfs by default and limiting the total size to something
> > like 5MB would be something to evaluate for the default desktop.
>
> I looked into this, and we're not actually doing too badly - our syslogd
> doesn't fsync() after every log entry. I'm broadly in favour of using
> tmpfs, though. There's an argument that certain priorities probably want
> to stay on disk, but otherwise we can simply sync the tmpfs to disk on
> shutdown or reboot.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I rarely reboot my laptop cleanly. I'm not sure I'd
want X weeks of logs to go away.

Are there any sorts of mechanisms to do per-directory or per-file writeback
caching, so that /var/log/ could be set to 'sync only every 15 minutes',
or similar?

Bill