Re: new RPM version and Feature process (was: Re: Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide)

On Wed, 2008-07-09 at 20:41 -0500, Callum Lerwick wrote:
> Am I wrong?

Yes.  As previously stated the feature pages are way more than just
marketing fluff.  Features have very real schedule impact, just consider
this time around, RPM with a bunch of new features, and a new gcc coming
at some point soon.  Usually we want to rebuild for both of those.
Without some high level coordination, how do we schedule so that we
rebuild once for all of the right reasons instead of multiple times
individually?

How can releng/qa properly schedule timelines for testing and what
should be tested based on the changes?  How do we know when we should
slip for specific features that are close but just haven't quite made it
yet?

The feature process allows greater visibility and coordination across
the entire distribution, which is quite large.  Fedora is a far cry from
the RHL days when most everybody working on it was in the same room, and
the few that weren't were easy to find on IRC.  We're vastly different
and larger and need these communication/coordination efforts to continue
to be successful.

--
Jesse Keating
Fedora -- FreedomĀ² is a feature!