Re: Audio SIG - Jacklab spin

Michal Schmidt wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 13:40:26 +0200
Harald Hoyer <harald redhat com> wrote:

Anyone interested in an audio SIG?

We could create a jacklab like spin ( http://jacklab.org/ ) with
jackd as the main audio daemon.

Would the absence of a real-time kernel variant in Fedora be a problem
for such a spin? Fedora kernel only has voluntary preemption enabled.
All the audio-specialized distributions I've heard about ship with an
RT-patched kernel.

Michal

Absence is no "problem" on a modern desktop (my desktop :-) ), though a real-time kernel would definitely improve the latency for slower systems.

Maybe we could "maintain" a kernel-rt package or persuade our RHEL5 kernel team to provide a rt-kernel (with the benefit of more QA :) ).