Re: OLPC & package dependency growth - RFE!

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 07:30 +1000, David Timms wrote:
> 2. candidate for split:
> 16026876	fedora-release-notes.noarch
> perhaps into raw html, and css/images ?

What actually gets gained by splitting it?  The majority of the size is
actually the various forms of the release notes + translations

> 3. I mentioned to some list a while ago that Fedora install for default
> / minimal F9 got to about 650 out 950 packages before it actually
> installed the kernel. It was suggested that this could be due to needing
> to get tools to build initrd to be present before the kernel install
> could occur. The output of this tool with kernel as argument suggests
> only about 80 packages are needed to solve deps. Is this realistic ?

That sounds plausible for just the kernel, but the ordering algorithm
used is a bit more complex.  See rpm/lib/depends.c:rpmtsOrder() if you
want all of the grotty details.  We don't do transaction splitting and
if we're to do it, it needs to be done in a more general fashion rather
than special-casing the kernel.

Jeremy