Re: Proposed SIG: Windows MinGW cross-compiler SIG

On Tue, Jul 8, 2008 at 6:29 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange redhat com> wrote:
<snip>
> If we only provided GPL'd libraries for libvirt on Windows they simply
> won't use libvirt or Fedora virtualization, pushing more people towards
> closed source virt solutuons like VMWare

Actually, if you read the rationals for the LGPL vs. GPL, it's stated
that the GPL is better in a situation where ther are no alternatives
at all.  It forces an otherwise new market to stick to being as Open
as possible.  Whereas in situations where there are already closed
source solutions, the LGPL is an alternative since it is more
flexible.  While this isn't optimal, it's clearly a better license in
this situation.

+1

-Yaakov