Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 17:19:14 UTC 2008

Doug Ledford wrote:
> On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 19:22 +0300, Panu Matilainen wrote:
>> I know. People have been waiting SO long for various things to happen in
>> RPM that everybody's out of patience and wants their stuff in NOW. Please
>> try to be patient a little bit longer: once this release stabilizes, RPM
>> can move to a "normal" development-release cycle where folks will not have
>> to wait 5+ years to get their changes in :)
>
> No offense, but as far as I'm concerned I'd trade your entire rpm update
> for the changes I listed above.  Nothing in the list of rpm changes I
> saw was so earth shattering that it even comes close to the reality of
> being able to use a sane SCM as a canoncial source repo IMO.  And people
> *have* been waiting *way* too long for this to happen...I was just
> sitting down to start working on writing the changes myself (I hadn't
> gotten to figuring out how the spec fields were handled in the rpmdb
> yet, but I had gone through the rpmbuild -b?|-t?|--rebuild|--recompile
> as well as the rpm -i processes looking for how to hook everything into
> the existing source code and what changes to make, etc.) because it's
> something that's so overdue.  Now I find out that even though I've
> gotten so fed up that I was willing to put my own time in to make it
> happen (which is well out of my field as a kernel developer) that it
> doesn't even matter if I'm willing to do so, I'm blocked.  That sucks in
> ways I can't even describe.

There's absolutely nothing blocking you from sitting down with a
checkout of current code and starting to make your changes so that you
can submit some code against the updated branch to the rpm maintainers
when the current release is out the door.  No, it will not get into F10
but I highly doubt that Fedora Policy to allow using source control
repos interchangably with tarballs would be approved in time for F10 either.

-Toshio