Re: Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Doug Ledford wrote:
On Sat, 2008-07-12 at 22:09 +0200, Michael Schwendt wrote:
 For other
projects one cannot build from a scm checkout without running scripts,
such as autogen.sh where one would need to reproduce the upstream
development env.

Where is the reference on that BTW.  There was a time in the past when
someone asked me what they should do before generating their tarballs
and I told them to just tar it up and go, and I had every intention of
running autogen.sh myself during the build process.  Then someone told
me "No, they need to run autogen.sh before they make the tarball".  So,
why is that?  Why shouldn't the sources be autogen'ed against our
specific dev environment, after all we will be the ones building our
rpms in our build environment, so it would seem to make sense to me.
Obviously I must be missing something of great importance...

Just to clarify a further point a tad tangential to your question: upstream should always run autogen.sh at some point prior to releasing as one of the basic ideas behind the autotools is that you do not need them installed on the end-user's machine. However, whether upstream does this once and then checks it into source control or does this before every release as part of the tarball creation process does not compromise this and can make a difference in whether one can simply checkout from revision control and be ready to build.

-Toshio