Heads-up: brand new RPM version about to hit rawhide

Doug Ledford dledford at redhat.com
Mon Jul 14 16:52:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-14 at 16:31 +0000, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Doug Ledford <dledford <at> redhat.com> writes:
> > The distinction between upstream development and Fedora development is
> > artificial.  And it's a nice way to keep upstream developers from having
> > any interest in managing their own packages.  Congratulations on that.
>
> Nonsense. Upstream developers don't want to do development in Fedora's SCM.
> They want to do development in their own SCM, make platform-independent
> releases and then package those releases (or get them packaged) for Fedora and
> other distributions. I don't see why tarballs wouldn't be an appropriate format
> for such releases.

The magic words above were "(or get them packaged)".  Our separate SCM
setup really just means they don't want to futz with it.  However, if
the process for an upstream developer was more like:

Develop in their own SCM, push SCM changes to (Fedora/Debian/SuSE
repos), kick off build process in (Fedora/Debian/SuSE), done.  Well, I
can list a few developers that might finally be willing to manage
packaging their own stuff up where as right now they simply don't want
to.

--
Doug Ledford <dledford at redhat.com>
              GPG KeyID: CFBFF194