process wakeups

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Wed Jul 16 10:35:40 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-15 at 07:39 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Matthew Garrett wrote:
> > There are certain situations where polling is inevitable (such as
> > querying hardware for battery status or signal strength, pulling mail,
> > that kind of thing).
[...]
> As for mail pulling: sure.  But the frequency should be measured in
> minutes and not in micro-seconds.

IMAP IDLE (the IMAP server telling connected clients when there is new
mail) should be able to fix that: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMAP_IDLE

We just have to ensure that our clients and servers support this
correctly (and that it is enabled by default).

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759