Re: latency-policy call for review

On Wed, 2008-07-16 at 14:44 -0400, Dave Jones wrote:
> On Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:51:36PM -0400, Bill Nottingham wrote:
>  > Richard Hughes (hughsient gmail com) said:
>  > > Anyone want to review this package? It's designed to make it easy to set
>  > > system latency power tunables.
>  >
>  > How does it coexist with, or obsolete, a separate cpuspeed service?
> last one to run stomps over the other.

Exactly, it's not actually a great friend at the moment.

> this one also seems to lack a lot of the logic in cpuspeeds initscript
> to determine if we're actually capable of running the ondemand governor.
> If the CPU is capable of running ondemand in a manner that it doesn't
> introduce performance regressions, we choose it already in cpuspeed.
> latency policy seems to be trying to second guess all of that.

Well, it's a lot more blunt. In the long term I would like to get the
latency information from the kernel, so we can make some sort of sane
estimation of the latencies involved.

> My vote would be to rip out all of this from latencypolicy, and have lp
> set the sampling rate sysfs knobs.

I guess you meant "have cpuspeed set the knobs" in which case that might
be sane. I would really like the latency information from the kernel so
we can still load ondemand even if the latency is horrible when we
configure for maximum latency for maximum powersaving.