Koji reports wrong version when building for dist-f8

Dennis Gilmore dennis at ausil.us
Fri Jul 18 22:36:55 UTC 2008

On Friday 18 July 2008, David A. Wheeler wrote:
> Heads-up, if you're trying to build for Fedora 8 and your spec
> file detects WHICH version of Fedora you're compiling for.
>
> Fedora's Koji installation currently has a serious configuration bug for
> dist-f8, at least for scratch builds.  When it compiles for dist-f8,
> it incorrectly thinks it's compiling for dist-f9,
> instead of correctly compiling for dist-f8.
> That is, when compiling for Fedora 8, %fedora == 9!!!
>
> Proof: If your .spec file has:
>  %if %fedora == 9
>  ExcludeArch: ppc64
>  %endif
>
> then "rpmbuild -bs X.spec" followed by:
>  koji build --scratch dist-f8 ../SRPMS/...src.rpm
> will NOT build for ppc64 (wrong!).
> But change "== 9" to "== 8", and it WILL build for ppc64
> (wrong!). Ooooops.
>
> Maybe it IS building for 9 instead of 8, but the result
> is the same: No joy when building for Fedora 8.
>
> I have already submitted a bug report:
> https://fedorahosted.org/fedora-infrastructure/ticket/711
>
> But since this is just before a weekend, I don't know how long it'll
> be before it's fixed.  I thought I'd save
> some grief for the people working over the weekend.

The bug if it is a bug is not in the buildsystem.  but will be in fedora-
release where the macros are defined.  your usage  as pointed out in the ticket
is incorrect  the buildsystem itself has no knowledge of things like rpm
macros.  all it knows is what is fed into the chroot and what  it gets out.
nothing more.   if you have the appropriate hardware you should be able to
reproduce the issue in mock   since thats all koji uses.  if you dont have
ppc64   you could exclude the arch you have and do a mock build.

Please read http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/DistTag#Conditionals

--
Dennis Gilmore