Announcing the Fedora OLPC Special Interest Group

Greg Dekoenigsberg gdk at redhat.com
Mon Jul 21 14:36:08 UTC 2008

I've already sent this note to a bunch of lists, but this is the list that
really counts.  You folks are the ones who will make or break this effort.
Much of the work that lies before us is exactly the kind of work that all
of you have been doing for years now.

So please, join up.  We could really use the help.  Those of you whom I
know personally, I will be begging for your help off-list in a somewhat
less dignified manner.  ;)

* * *

The engineers at OLPC are busy building an educational experience for the kids
of the world.  They are basing their excellent work on Fedora.

Their time is stretched perilously thin.  Every hour an overworked OLPC
engineer spends doing Fedora work is an hour they could be spending doing
something else.  We in the Fedora community can therefore have a huge, direct,
and immediate impact on the success of the OLPC project.

Thus, I am proud to announce the formation of the Fedora OLPC Special Interest
Group.  Our mission: to provide the OLPC project with a strong, sustainable,
scalable, community-driven base platform for innovation.

Immediate Goals:

1. To identify and take responsible ownership of as many OLPC base packages as
possible.

2. To maintain an excellent Sugar environment for Fedora, including a dedicated
Sugar spin.

3. To identify useful opportunities for collaboration (infrastructure,
localization, etc.)

We should convene our first meeting as soon as possible.  If you are interested
in participating, please join the Fedora OLPC mailing list here and introduce
yourself: