Re: pm-utils for F8 and Advanced power management

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Matthew Garrett (mjg59 srcf ucam org) said:
On Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 06:32:16AM -0400, Colin Walters wrote:

Putting syslog on tmpfs by default and limiting the total size to something
like 5MB would be something to evaluate for the default desktop.
I looked into this, and we're not actually doing too badly - our syslogd doesn't fsync() after every log entry. I'm broadly in favour of using tmpfs, though. There's an argument that certain priorities probably want to stay on disk, but otherwise we can simply sync the tmpfs to disk on shutdown or reboot.

Maybe I'm unusual, but I rarely reboot my laptop cleanly. I'm not sure I'd
want X weeks of logs to go away.

Are there any sorts of mechanisms to do per-directory or per-file writeback
caching, so that /var/log/ could be set to 'sync only every 15 minutes',
or similar?

Note that we really want similar functionality for e.g. gnome-power-manager's battery charge history data.

--
  Peter