Re: consolidating on gnupg2 in F10

Jeremy Katz wrote:
On Mon, 2008-07-21 at 12:48 -0500, Rex Dieter wrote:
Steve Grubb wrote:
On Friday 18 July 2008 09:11:21 Rex Dieter wrote:
Bill Nottingham wrote:
For a really long time now, we've shipped both gnupg and gnupg2
in Fedora. In fact, in Fedora 9 a relatively standard install will
get both installed.
It appears a good number of these can be ported to gnupg2, if not
all of them. Should we wire up a feature page?
Imo, yes, it's a worthy goal to get these ported so that at least gnupg(1)
doesn't land in any default install.

fyi, here's my inquiry upstrem on whether it's possible or a good idea to
try dropping gnupg1:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2008-July/024485.html

answer: probably not a good idea.
Why did you come to that conclusion? We don't support IDEA and Suse did mention that they have switched to only GPG2. The only caution is around gpg-agent.
based on Werner Koch's response:
http://lists.gnupg.org/pipermail/gnupg-devel/2008-July/024490.html

"You should don't remove gnupg-1 from a distribution..."

He also says you should ship BIND 8 and 9.  And there are people that
say you should ship KDE 3.x and KDE 4 desktops.

We should cut the cruft and onvert what we ship to use gnupg2.
Otherwise, the fact that there are two will persist forever.

Jeremy

+1

This is the same argument that exists for compatibility libraries: their existence in distributions is a disincentive for developers to port their applications.

--

Benjamin Lewis
Fedora Ambassador

http://benl.co.uk./                                 PGP Key: 0x647E480C

"In cases of major discrepancy, it is always reality that got it wrong"
                                                        -- RFC 1118
begin:vcard
fn:Benjamin Lewis
n:Lewis;Benjamin