Cast your vote for the Fedora 10 Codename!

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Wed Jul 23 08:28:39 UTC 2008

On Tue, Jul 22, 2008 at 08:44:22PM +0100, Tim Jackson wrote:
> Please may we have an additional option "None"?
>
> I cannot see any useful purpose for this other than to make
> non-technical or new users wonder why we have two names for one piece of
> software, one of which nobody uses and doesn't appear to bear any
> resemblance to anything other than some bad, cliquey in-joke.
>
> Fortunately we don't use it *quite* as prominently as some other Linux
> distributions (why on earth would I want to admit to someone that I use
> an operating system called "potato"?) but these names still make me cringe.

... and while we're at it, can we please get rid of the "cute" names
for ordinary software?  I was trying to blow away unused packages
yesterday and was wondering what on earth "libpurple" (48MB)
"gutenprint-foomatic" (49MB) "poppler" (14MB) etc do.

..... and while I'm grumbling, at least "libgweather" has a useful
name.  But why on earth is it almost 50MB in size??  And there are
three copies of it installed on my machine?

Rich.

http://et.redhat.com/~rjones/virt-df/