Re: Cast your vote for the Fedora 10 Codename!

Jesse Keating wrote:
On Wed, 2008-07-23 at 00:02 +0100, Tim Jackson wrote:
Nothing at all; each to their own. But it wouldn't be the first time I've had to explain to a new user who is already dubious about Fedora and suspicious that this Linux thing is some sort of cryptic geeky nonsense why there is a weird obscure name used interchangeably with the more recognisable and user-understandable one. The name by which you distribute a piece of software may be completely unrelated to its merits from the point of view of you or I, but it *is* on the front line of users' awareness of it, and I'd rather Fedora had a reputation for welcoming and encouraging new users, not confusing them :-)

Right, because "Windows ME", "Windows 98", "Windows 2000", "Windows XP",
"Windows Vista" are instantly understandable and not cryptic at all.  Or
if you prefer "Leapord", "Panther", etc...

Particularly when Windows Vista was known to the world as 'Longhorn' for more than 3 years before the term 'Vista' ever showed up. I'm not aware of any 'popular' operating system that has no codenaming process at all... I'd be interested in knowing about it.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul gmail com> www.lordmorgul.net
 gpg 0x8300BF29 fingerprint 071D FFE0 4CBC 13FC 7DEB  5BD5 5F89 8E1B 8300 BF29