Package EVR problems in Fedora 2008-07-26

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Sat Jul 26 22:16:02 UTC 2008

Stephen Warren <s-t-rhbugzilla <at> wwwdotorg.org> writes:
> buildsys <at> fedoraproject.org wrote:
> > Broken upgrade path report for tags f8-final -> dist-f8-updates
> > -> dist-f8-updates-testing -> dist-f9-updates
> > -> dist-f9-updates-testing -> dist-f10:
>
> Shouldn't  dist-f9-final (or whatever the correct name is) be inserted
> in this path list between dist-f8-updates-testing and dist-f9-updates.

dist-f8-updates (and dist-f8-updates-testing even more so) will ALWAYS have
some packages with higher EVRs than dist-f9, this is normal and unavoidable,
how else would you suggest to backport a new version of a package which wasn't
in F9 final to F8 updates? Of course dist-f9-updates should get the same
update, but that's all we can do, we can't magically go back in time and change
what was released with F9 final!

Similarly, but more subtly, comparing dist-f8-updates-testing with
dist-f9-updates as the script now does also makes no sense. If an update should
hit F8 and F9 updates at the same time, it also has to be tested at the same
time! So the only thing we can reasonably compare dist-f8-updates-testing with
(other than dist-f10) is dist-f9-updates-testing. dist-f8-updates-testing will
ALWAYS have some packages with higher EVRs than dist-f9-updates.

        Kevin Kofler