Re: Package EVR problems in Fedora 2008-07-26

On Sat, July 26, 2008 4:16 pm, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> dist-f8-updates (and dist-f8-updates-testing even more so) will ALWAYS
> have
> some packages with higher EVRs than dist-f9, this is normal and
> unavoidable,
> how else would you suggest to backport a new version of a package which
> wasn't
> in F9 final to F8 updates? Of course dist-f9-updates should get the same
> update, but that's all we can do, we can't magically go back in time and
> change
> what was released with F9 final!

No, that should never happen.

Consider the situation where:

F8:            pkg-1.fc8
F9 (original): pkg-1.fc9

To put a fix in F8, you version it pkg-1.fc8.1 *not* pkg-2.fc8.

I don't recall exactly where, but this is somewhere in the wiki area on
packaging.