livecd-creator unmounting temp image, running daemons.

Jerry Vonau jvonau at shaw.ca
Mon Jul 28 15:03:02 UTC 2008

Martin Langhoff wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 28, 2008 at 7:13 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
>>> How about not running the school server on an OS which gets no more
>> upgrades,
>>> not even critical security upgrades??? Fedora 7 is no longer
>> supported, so of
>>> course there will be no efforts made to make modern live CD tools
work
>> with it.
>
> I can understand Kevin's sentiments, but at the time we are in
> development, and the port to F9 is a major undertaking that I cannot
> focus on right now. We will tackle it, but there are more pressing
> needs.
>
> And some of the stuff we have on F7 will be really hard to reimplement
> on F9 - if anyone is keen on lending a hand with porting our odd
> network setup scripts to F9, he or she will earn my deepest thanks.
> And possibly a gig with us too if desired :-)

Networking, right up my ally, I don't think you would need to change
anything, just don't use NetworkManager. I'll have a look, off list, if
you like.

>> Yea, you should try to get "School Server image" working as a "spin".
>> Have you tried the --base-on= option to livecd-tools and try to
re-spin,
>> with the f7 live disk as the source, with a later distro? This, I
think,
>> would be the same as doing a yum upgrade on the F7 release and
>> re-rolling it.
>
> Is there a "base" commandline liveCD for F7? Our current spin is a
> X-less server setup.

The livecd-fedora-minimal.ks is X-less. What base-on= does, is when the
new ext3 filesystem is created for the new cd, the old filesystem is
copied over before any rpms are installed. Then more or less does a "yum
upgrade" is done on the old setup, and the new iso is created. I'd try
the minimal.ks(might need a bit of fiddling) with the base-on= pointing
to your old livecd.

Just a thought,

Jerry