Calling on Fedora/RedHat ML managers to clean up Fedora-list.

Gilboa Davara gilboad at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 16:06:59 UTC 2008

On Mon, 2008-07-28 at 10:29 -0400, Tom Rivers wrote:
> On 7/28/2008 10:04 AM, Gilboa Davara wrote:
> > Again, ethical/political/etc questions have no place in an ML that
> > -should- be dedicated to users who seek help. I doubt that they even
> > have place in -testing and/or -devel.
> >
> > I've been subscribed to fedora-* more-or-less since FC2.
> > For the first time in years I'm thinking about unsubscribing
>
> I've been on these lists from the early days as well.  I've seen some
> interesting discussions, however I was never under the impression that
> this was as big of a problem as some people seem to portray it.  Does
> anyone have any metrics on how many of these "inappropriate" threads
> there truly are in relation to how many are "appropriate"?  I think it
> would help make this issue much more clear.  For example, if we are
> talking about less than 1% of all posts are "inappropriate", then that
> is a heck of a lot different than if it is 35%.  Similarly, if there are
> say 10,000 posts in a month, 1% is a bigger problem than if there are
> only 100 posts per month.
>
> So, do we have some actual numbers or is it just a "gut feel"?
>

> Tom

I don't have solid numbers, but at least according to my gmail trash
contents, around ~1/4-1/5 of the posts that were sent to -users between,
say, Tuesday and Saturday belonged to one of the 4 "GPL" threads.

... And even if I'm wrong by an order of magnitude, and we are only
talking about 10% of all the -users traffic, given the fact that these
threads are off-topic to being with, this is way-too-much.

- Gilboa