PyLucene: How to package libraries that link against OpenJDK libraries?

Colin Walters walters at verbum.org
Mon Jun 2 19:11:02 UTC 2008

On Mon, Jun 2, 2008 at 8:26 AM, Felix Schwarz <felix.schwarz at oss.schwarz.eu>
wrote:

> In my understanding Jython better suited/the best possibility if I want to
> call Python from Java code. If the main program is in Python, using Jython
> will restrict you on a Python feature set that is roughly the same as in
> Python 2.2.

Jython in SVN is 2.3 + some 2.4 features, and some 2.5 libraries.  Here's a
slightly old status report:
http://groups.google.com/group/jvm-languages/browse_thread/thread/e53015c684f69d2d

Hopefully they'll do a new release sometime soon.

So I think JCC is basically the right thing to do as this is the only way
> you can always use the latest Python features (even Python packages that are
> written in C) and the latest Java (GCJ always had threading issues and is
> generally hard to debug).

There are different tradeoffs; wedging two completely separate runtimes into
the same process gives you a lot of integration issues - garbage collectors
that aren't aware of each other, etc.

Furthermore using JCC you can even use Java from C++ without too much hassle
> - quite cool I think :-)

Yeah; it does make sense I think to ship JCC.  But once Jython is able to
run major web frameworks like Django/TurboGears, there will be less need for
it.

> Sorry, my wording was not detailed enough. JCC does "JNI the other way
> round" so it calls Java from C++. Therefore there is no System.loadLibrary
> which could be patched. Instead I have to rely on the standard linker
> configuration (or use rpath).

Ah, I see. I think it makes the most sense to either put libjvm.so in
$libdir or use dlopen, but that's more of a detail for the OpenJDK/Icedtea
hackers.