Firefox and Moonlight (Mono) "Free Software" Status?

Ron Yorston rmy at tigress.co.uk
Tue Jun 3 08:36:34 UTC 2008

"Tom \"spot\" Callaway" <tcallawa at redhat.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 2008-06-02 at 03:28 +0100, Keith G. Robertson-Turner wrote:
>> Why are you still shipping Mono?
>
>Apologies in advance, I cannot be overly specific about legal issues.
>Red Hat (and I) are aware of your concerns around mono, and after
>discussing this in depth with Red Hat Legal, we have no immediate plans
>to remove mono from Fedora.

Never mind the legal stuff, is there any technical reason for having
Mono in the core distribution?  (Or in the distribution at all.)

One of the first things I do after installing Fedora is remove
mono-core and its dependencies.  A tiny number of applications depend
on Mono, none of which I miss.  I'm sure they could easily be replaced
with non-Mono equivalents for those who do find them useful.

With Java itself now Free Software why bother with Mono?

Ron